Unpredictable temperatures when camping can often leave your drinks the opposite temperature you want them. Vacuum flasks combat temperature loss by way of their insulated chambers. The insulation is designed to maintain beverage temperatures for longer periods of time. These five flasks are perfect options for keeping your drinks hot or cold while camping.
|Fijoo Stainless Steel Thermos Bottle||Amazon||B+|
|LifeSky Sports Water Bottle||Amazon||B|
|Mira Vacuum Insulated Bottle||Amazon||B|
|Stanley Classic Vacuum Bottle||REI / Amazon||A|
|FLEXIFOIL Vacuum Drink Thermos||Amazon||B|
FLEXIFOIL Vacuum Drink Thermos
The FLEXIFOIL Thermos holds 28 ounces of liquid and is perfect for hot or cold drinks, soups, teas, and more. The FLEXIFOIL brand focuses on using top quality materials for its sporting products, and this flask is no exception. It’s made of stainless steel, which should be perfect for campers who need a heavy-duty bottle to get them through their outdoor activities.
This low-priced flask could be a good solution for active outdoor lovers. Especially those who plan on camping in environments with excessively high or low temperatures where beverage temperatures become extremely difficult to maintain.
- Wide mouth for easy drinking of soups or other liquids
- Can hold just about any liquid you want, including alcoholic beverages
- Keeps cold or hot drinks fresh and temperature-controlled for up to 24 hours
- Lightweight, so it may be ideal for hikers, joggers, and anyone on-the-go
- Compact size can fit conveniently into your backpack or travel bag
- Aluminum taste may show in some beverages or liquids
- Lid can be difficult for some to remove due to its strong seal
- Hot liquids tend to stay hot for less time than cold liquids stay cold
- Some leaking from the lid is possible
Fijoo Stainless Steel Thermos Bottle
The Fijoo Stainless Steel Thermos Bottle is especially beneficial for campers looking for a good flask for cold drinks. It has double wall insulation to keep cold drinks as cold as possible for 24 hours.
The screw on top helps prevent cold and hot air from escaping and entering. Since you only have to unscrew the lid slightly to pour, this bottle has an advantage over other thermoses that you have to fully unscrew, allowing air to escape.
- Made with food-grade stainless steel that prevents a metallic taste from getting into your food
- The slim design helps this bottle fit perfectly in travel bags, or in pockets of a backpack
- Comes with a convenient cup that fits on the lid, which can be helpful when traveling and camping
- The tough stainless steel design will help campers keep it in good shape, even during outdoor activities
- Holds about 16 ounces of liquid, so it’s smaller than other thermoses
- Hot liquid doesn’t tend to last as long as cold liquid
- Its long, narrow design can be inconvenient for some campers looking for a more compact thermos
- You must unscrew two caps to drink, which can be difficult if you want to use it when driving or during other activities
Stanley Classic Vacuum Bottle
The Stanley Classic Vacuum Bottle comes from a trusted company with over 100 years of experience with them! If you’re not satisfied with this bottle for any reason, your money is backed by a lifetime guarantee, which may give you some peace of mind with your purchase.
- Low price point for campers on a budget
- Several different size options to choose from, depending on your camping needs, from 16 ounces to 2 quarts
- Iced liquids can stay cold for up to 120 hours, and hot liquids can stay hot for up to 32 hours
- Double-use lid and cup, which can add extra convenience to campers
- Wide mouth for easy cleaning on camping trips
- Made in China, which may be a deal breaker for some
- Plastic handle, rather than metal, which tends to be a bit flimsier
- Some customers have had a problem removing the taste of the liquids they’ve put in it, like coffee
LifeSky Stainless Steel Sports Water Bottle
LifeSky’s Sports Water Bottle is one of the low-priced options for campers who want a conveniently-sized bottle with a lot of cooling or warming potential. This bottle keeps liquids hot or cold for about 12 hours, so it may be best for campers who can easily re-stock their drinks through the day.
- Silicone ring helps the bottle stay leak proof, so you can take it where you need to go without spilling
- The wide mouth size may be good for campers who want to ice their drinks and have a convenient way to clean the bottle
- BPA-free and the stainless steel will leave no chemical or metal taste in your drink
- Unscrewing the lid may be an inconvenience for those who want a quick drink during activities
- Lid can become difficult to open if not opened for a while, so this may be a better option for those with good hand strength
- Insulation falls a little short compared to other bottles
Mira Vacuum Insulated Travel Water Bottle
The Mira Travel Water Bottle may be a good option for campers who care about the looks of their bottle. This bottle comes in a variety of designs that help it stand out from the rest, but it can still provide campers with a leak-proof way to keep their drinks hot or cold.
- Durable food-grade stainless steel to prevent weird tastes in your bottle
- Easy flow system that’s especially convenient for on-the-go drinking
- Your cold drinks stay cold for up to 24 hours; hot drinks stay hot for up to 12 hours
- Its convenient, slim design is a good choice for those who want to use the bottle while driving
- Smaller than other bottles
- Bottle opening may be uncomfortable for some to drink from
- Slim opening can make it difficult to clean when camping
- Some customers have said that the bottle dents or scratches easily
What are the Benefits of Using a Thermos While Camping?
When camping, it can be difficult to find a way to keep your drinks hot or cold. Depending on your camping location, temperatures can fluctuate drastically from day to night. How can you keep your drinks hot or cold?
Vacuum flasks are an excellent solution. These thermoses have extra insulation by using an inner chamber and surrounding glass layers that create a vacuum in between.
I once went camping at a site in the Pennsylvania mountains over the summer with family. During the day, the sun was so hot that I trusted my insulated thermos to keep me refreshed with cold water.
At night, though, the temperatures dropped very quickly, and I found that my flask wasn’t great at keeping my hot tea very hot. It had lasted about 5 minutes before it was lukewarm. It would have been nice to have one that could have been equally effective for both liquids!
How Do They Work?
One of the ways heat moves is known as convection. Through the process of convection, warm air rises as colder air pushes back against it, moving downward. If your cup of coffee gets cold quickly, it’s because heat is escaping upward, while cooler air makes its way into your cup, rapidly lowering the temperature.
An insulated thermos works against the convection process by keeping warmth in and cold air out. Just as the insulation in your home reduces the amount of air transfer between the indoors and outdoors, it can prevent your beverages from gaining or losing heat too quickly.
A vacuum flask is a convenient way to combat these issues while camping.
How to Decide on the Best Vacuum Flask
Some flasks may be better regarding durability, but not maintain warmer temperatures enough to stand up to cold nights of camping. Others may perform well out in the elements, but can be difficult to clean properly, which poses a challenge when you’re camping.
Helpful Features to Consider
The following are features you’ll want to look for when you are comparing products.
- Durability. For camping, it’s especially important to have a thermos that will stand up to regular wear and tear, and possible drops.
- Insulation. It’s important to read reviews that focus on how long cold and hot liquids are maintained
- Weight. This may seem unimportant, but if you are carrying it around all day as you hike, you may want something very lightweight.
- Types of liquids. Can you put any liquid in it? Depending on the materials, some liquids, like acidic tomato soup, may not be able to be carried
Most vacuum flasks are made of stainless steel. Properly cleaning a vacuum flask may be difficult when you’re camping depending on the material and construction.
Hand wash it with warm water and dish soap, making sure you don’t fully immerse your thermos in water. Dry it immediately and thoroughly to prevent rusting on the stainless steel. Steer clear of using any abrasives, like scratch pads, to clean tough stains. Instead, use hot water and a small amount of baking soda to soak it overnight. Rinse thoroughly in the morning.
Our Top Pick
Of the products the Stanley Classic is my top choice. I love it because it’s a convenient, yet it’s compact enough to let campers take it wherever they need to go, like hiking, biking, or hunting. It’s a classic for a reason.
For campers on a budget, especially, you may get the best bang for your buck with this thermos. This thermos can keep iced drinks cold for as long 15 hrs, which can be of great benefit in hotter climates. Plus, it may be able to help you stay warm with tea or soup on cold, camping nights.
Its versatility, durability, light weight, and excellent insulation make it hit every important benefit of a good vacuum flask for camping.